Latin/Translation

Question
Dear Maria,

Could you translate "It's a great honor to be taught by you." into Latin?

Thank you.

John

Answer
Dear John,

The sentence “It's a great honour to be taught by you” can be translated as follows:

-“Magnus est honor a te erudiri” as well as “Magnus est honor a vobis erudiri (literal, i.e.: “It's a great honour to be taught by you” in the passive voice).
Note that “a te” refers to a 2nd person singular, while “a vobis” refers to a 2nd person plural.

-“Magnus est honor a te discere” as well as “Magnus est honor a vobis discere” (“It's a great honour to learn  from  you” in the active voice).

As you know, in English "you" is either the 2nd person singular or the 2nd person plural, whereas in Latin there is TU (nominative, 2nd person singular) and VOS (nominative, 2nd person plural).

Read more below.

Best regards,

Maria
______________________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-It's  =EST (3rd person singular, present indicative of SUM)

-a great = MAGNUS (nominative masculine singular agreeing with HONOR)

-honour =HONOR (nominative case, 3rd declension)

-to be taught = ERUDIRI (present infinitive, passive voice of the verb ERUDIO, I teach)

-by you =A TE (ablative of Agent composed of the preposition A + TE, which is the ablative of TU, 2nd person singular pronoun) or A VOBIS, if “you” refers to  the 2nd person plural pronoun VOS whose ablative is VOBIS)

________________________________________________________________________
Also in the active voice:

-It's  =EST

-a great = MAGNUS

-honour =HONOR

-to learn  = DISCERE (present infinitive active of DISCO, I learn)

-from you= A TE (ablative of Source composed of the preposition A + TE, which is the ablative of TU, 2nd person singular pronoun) or A VOBIS, if “you” refers to the 2nd person plural pronoun VOS whose ablative is VOBIS).  

Latin

Maria