Latin/grammar

Question
Dear Maria,
Could you please help me with the following (all from De Ira):

1. cuius aures tracti subsellii stridor offendit? (De Ira, 2.25.4)
Is it correct to think that we use genitive “tracti” of p.p. “tractus” in order to match gen. “subselli”?

2. Non enim nos causa mundo sumus hiemem aestatemque referendi: (De Ira, 2.27.2)
Could you give a literal translation of this sentence?

3. et alia quae profutura torquent (De Ira, 2.27.3)
Of the two verbs “profutura” and “torquent”, does “profutura” belong to the relative clause and “torquent” the main clause? What is the meaning of “torquent”?

4. Indignamur aliqua admonitione aut coercitione nos castigatos (De Ira, 2.28.1)
I’m not clear about “nos castigatos”.

Thank you.
Robert

P.S. Is the following a good Latin translation of “Wish you a very happy marriage!”:
“Bonum tibi precor matrimonium!”
Do I need to say “Optimum” in order to express “very happy” or “bonum” is enough?

Answer
Dear Robert,

1.In “….cuius aures tracti subsellii stridor offendit? “(Seneca, De Ira, 2.25.4) it is  correct to think that the genitive “tracti” of p.p. “tractus”  agrees with  the  gen. “subsellii”.
The relative clause, in fact,  literally means:”… whose (cuius) ears (aures, direct object depending on “offendit) the grating ( stridor, subject) of a  dragged (tracti) bench/seat (subsellii) hits/hurts (offendit)?”, just to point out that those men  whose ears are hurt by the grating of a bench dragged across the floor could be not able to bear  the altercations and the insults that are common in  an assembly or in the senate- house.

2. “Non enim nos causa mundo sumus hiemem aestatemque referendi..” (De Ira, 2.27.2) literally means:”For (enim) we (nos) [are, sumus] not (non) the cause (causă, predicate noun) of ascribing (referendi, gerund genitive) winter (hiemem) and summer  (aestatemque) to the universe (mundo, dative depending on “referendi”) “ , i.e.:” For it is not because of us that the universe brings back winter and summer”.

3. In “…et alia quae profutura torquent…” (De Ira, 2.27.3) both “profutura” and “torquent”  belong to the relative clause  which literally means:” and other things (et alia , nominative neuter plural ) which  (quae, nominative neuter plural) being about to be useful (profutura, neuter plural, participle future of  the verb “prosum” agreeing with “alia quae”) torment (torquent)  [us]”.
In short Seneca says that we have  to submit to the chastening that good magistrates and parents, teachers and judges give  us in the same spirit in which we submit to the surgeon's knife, a regimen of diet, and other things which cause suffering at the time,  but could be useful in the future.

4. In “Indignamur aliqua admonitione aut coercitione nos castigatos..” (De Ira, 2.28.1) “nos castigatos” depends on “indignamur”, so that “Indignamur aliqua admonitione aut coercitione nos castigatos..” literally means:”We are angry (indignamur , with object-clause) that we have been  blamed /chastised (nos castigatos [esse]) with some (aliquā) reprimand (admonitione, ablative of instrument) or chastisemen(aut coercitione, ablative of instrument)…”, i.e. “We  are angry at  some reprimand or chastisement…”.

Best regards,
Maria
_____________________________________________________________________________

P.S. It’s better to say:“Optimum tibi precor matrimonium!”
Also, you could say:”Optimas tibi precor nuptias!”

Latin

Maria