Latin/motto

Question
Hi
I am working on a story and a group in it have a motto 'May stealth be our shield'. I am not sure if this can be directly translated into Latin, but any help would be appreciated
thanks
Chris

Answer
Hello,

The sentence “May stealth be our shield” can be translated as “Secretum nobis sit scutum”.

Note that:

-May … be = SIT (3rd person singular, present hortatory subjunctive of the verb SUM)

-stealth = SECRETUM (subject in the nominative, neuter noun, 2nd declension)

-our = NOBIS (literally “to us”, since NOBIS is the Dative of the personal pronoun NOS)

-shield = SCUTUM ( nominative, predicate noun, 2nd declension).

As you can see, Latin word order is different from English for Latin is an inflected language where grammatical relationship are indicated by the ending of the words, not by their order in a sentence.
In short, Latin indicates the function of words in a sentence by word endings and then has more freedom in the arrangement of words for the purpose of showing the relative importance of the ideas in a sentence.

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best regards,

Maria

Latin

Maria