Latin/English to Latin

Question
Hi, I have been trying to figure out how to say "eternal machine" in Latin for the title of a painting. After doing a little digging online I think "machina aeterna" would be the correct way to say it, however, due to my lack of knowledge relating to Latin, I figured it would be better to just ask. Thanks!

Answer
Hello,

the literal meaning of “machina aeterna”, which is in the  nominative case, i.e. the case that  Latin uses to indicate the subject of a sentence, is just “eternal machine”.

It is therefore correct to say “machina aeterna” for “eternal machine”.

Anyway, since you did not specify in what sense you want to use the English term “machine”, I have to tell you that the feminine noun “machina” (1st declension) is used in Latin to mean “machine”, in the sense of "any artificial contrivance for performing work",i.e. an engine, fabric, frame, scaffolding, a painter's easel, warlike engine, military machine, that is to say in general “a piece of equipment with several moving parts that uses power to do a particular type of work”.

Hope that "eternal machine", used for the title of a painting, can correspond to Latin “machina  aeterna” just in one of the aforesaid meanings.

Best regards,

Maria

Latin

Maria