Latin/Strength and honor

Question
Can you use VIRIBUS (ET) DECUS

Answer
Hello,

“Strength and honor” translates correctly as “VIS ET HONOR” or “VIRTUS ET HONOR”.

Note that VIS (nominative feminine  singular, 3rd declension) means “Strength” which however can also be translated as VIRTUS (nominative feminine singular, 3rd declension), while ET means “and, and HONOR (nominative masculine singular, 3rd declension) means “Honor”.

Both VIS and VIRTUS indicate a physical or mental strength, i.e. "vigour"/“bravery”/”courage”.

As for “VIRIBUS (ET) DECUS”, I’m sorry, but it is wrong for the following reasons:

1.VIRIBUS is the ablative plural of the noun VIS, but such an ablative case is grammatically wrong in this context.

2.ET must not be put in square brackets, as ET is necessary conjunction in this sentence.

3.DECUS is the nominative singular of this neuter noun which means "dignity" rather than "honor" and then DECUS is not an appropriate term here.

So, the sentence VIRIBUS (ET) DECUS makes no sense at all in Latin and then you cannot use it.

Best regards,

Maria

Latin

Maria