Latin/I gain strength as I go on

Question
Hello,
Ive been trying to find the direct translation of "I gain strength as I go on"

So far I have found 'Vires acquiro eundo' and "Vires acquirit eundo"
I wasn't sure if either of these were right

Thank you

Answer
Hello,

first of all  “I gain strength as I go on” translates correctly as “Vires acquiro eundo”.

As for “Vires acquirit eundo“, meaning “She gains strength as she goes ” with the verb “acquirit”(=she gains) in the 3rd person singular,  it is a quotation from Virgil, Aeneid, book 4, line 175) where the Roman poet Virgil(born 70 BC-died 19 BC) is talking about the Fame, a goddess swift-footed, all-seeing, growing as she runs, for she is the talk of the multitude, like rumour, which quickly spreads from person to person and grows mighty and achieves strength and dominion as she swifter flies.

But, if you want to use such a quotation in the 1st person singular just to say:”I gain strength as I go on”, you must only change the verb “acquirit” (= “she  gains ” in the 3rd person singular) and then say:”acquiro” (=I gain ”, in the 1st person singular).

To sum up, “I gain strength as I go on” translates correctly as “Vires acquiro eundo”, as I’ve already said.

Learn more below.

Best regards,

Maria
__________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-VIRES ( direct object, accusative plural of the noun VIS, 3rd declension) = strength

-ACQUIRO (present indicative, 1st person singular) = I gain

-EUNDO (gerund ablative of the verb EO) = as I go on

As you can see Latin word order can be different from English, for Latin is an inflected language where grammar relationships are indicated by the ending of the words, not by their order.

Latin

Maria