Latin/Latin phrase

Hi! I was wondering how you say "everything happens for a reason" in Latin. This is a phrase I live my life by and means a lot to me and I love the Latin language but I don't speak it. I've seen it as "omnia causa fiunt" but also many other ways before as well. I am curious to know what is correct translation for it.

First of all I have to tell you that  the best translation for "Everything happens for a reason” is “Nihil sine causa“, which is a quotation from Cicero, ‘De Natura Deorum’ [On the Nature of the Gods], Book I, chapter 33, paragraph 92.
“Nihil sine causa“ means, in fact, “Nothing [happens] without a reason”,  for “Nihil”  means “nothing” and “sine causa” means “without a reason”, while the verb “happens”  is understood in Latin as it is not necessary.

Anyway, if you are looking for a literal translation of “Everything happens for a reason", here it is :

”Omnia causā fiunt” or better “Omnia quadam fiunt causā” as well as “Quadam de causā omnia eveniunt”.
Please note that “Omnia” means “everything”; “causā” /”quadam causā”/ “quadam de causā” mean “for a reason” and “fiunt” or “eveniunt” mean “happens”.

Also note that Latin word order can be variable, and then can be  different from English, simply because Latin is an inflected language where grammatical/syntactical relationships are indicated by the ending, not by the order of the words and then the order of the words is less important than the ending in terms of determining how each word functions in the sentence.

For example, in “ Omnia causā fiunt” the first word "omnia"( everything ) is a plural neuter   in the nominative case, so it is definitely the subject; the second noun " causā " ( for a reason) has an ablative singular ending, so it is the Ablative of Cause; the verb “fiunt” (happens) has a third person plural verb ending, so it goes with the subject of the sentence , i.e. “Omnia” (literally, “All things”) which is in the nominative plural.

To sum up, since the Latin ending of words tells their roles in the sentence, I could also say:” Omnia fiunt causā ”, “Causā  omnia fiunt”, “Fiunt omnia causā ”, with a different word order,according to my choice.

So, while in English the word order in “Everything happens for a reason” cannot change, in Latin it can be variable since the meaning of a sentence depends on the ending of each word which  determines how each word functions in a phrase.

To conclude, I want to point out that the best translation for "Everything happens for a reason" is  “Nihil sine causa“, i.e. the quotation from Cicero,Roman philosopher, politician, lawyer and  orator who died in 43 BC.  

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best regards,

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: