Latin/Word Definition

Question
QUESTION: Hi,

I'm working on a project and wanted to confirm what the meaning of the word "Colo" is in Latin? Using translation services it says it means growth or to cultivate growth. Is that an accurate translation?

Thank you so much for your time and help!

Matthew

ANSWER: Hello,

actually the  Latin verb "colo" does not mean "growth" as a noun  nor "to cultivate growth" as an infinitive mood.

I have in fact to point out that "colo", which is the 1st person singular, present indicative of this verb, whose present infinitive is “colĕre" ”(3rd conjugation)  can  mean: “I cultivate”, “I take care of a field/ garden”, as well as  “ I honor”, “I devote myself to” used in a figurative sense.

As you can see, “colo” does not mean “growth” as a noun  just indicating  the growth of a person, animal, or plant, since  the noun “growth” translates into Latin as “incrementum” (neuter noun, 2nd declension).

To sum up, it’s not only inaccurate, but also wrong to translate  the verb “colo” (present indicative, 1st person singular)  as “growth” (noun)  or “to cultivate growth”(infinitive).

Anyway, in order to give you more help, it would need to know the reason why and for what purpose you would like to use  the Latin verb “colo” .

Please let me know.

Best regards,

Maria

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your help. I'm working on a business name for a business that is centered around physical and mental growth of the individual clients served. I'm just looking for a word to describe the growth of a person. It will be used as a business name so I want to make sure it's accurate.

Thank you so much,

Matthew

Answer
Hello,

thanks for telling me your thought and purpose.

So, maybe you could use one of the following Latin words:

-the neuter noun “Augmentum” meaning “increase”, “growth”, with reference to physical and mental growth.

-the infinitive present “Crescere” meaning “to grow”, with reference to physical and mental growth.

-the gerund accusative “Ad crescendum” meaning “in order to grow”, with reference to physical and mental growth.

-the infinitive present “Augescere” meaning “to begin to grow”, with reference to physical and mental growth.

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best regards,
Maria

Latin

Maria