Latin/Belief

Question
Hello,

What is the correct Latin translation for belief?
(meaning - trust,faith,confidence)

Many Thanks,

Answer
Hello,

to tell the truth, it would need to know the context where you would like to use the Latin translation for the English term “belief”, since Latin can use different nouns to say  “belief”, according to the sentence where this word is placed.

Moreover, Latin is an inflected language where each noun has six different cases (nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, vocative, ablative), according to its role in the context (subject, direct object, indirect object), so that a noun changes its ending just according to its function.

That being stated, I can tell you that, generally speaking, the English nouns “trust”, “faith”, “confidence”, “belief”  translate as follows:

-“fides” (nominative singular, 5th declension) meaning:”belief”, ”trust (in a person or thing), “confidence”, “faith” used  in Ecclesiastical Latin as a system of belief in the Christian religion.

-“fiducia” (nominative singular, 1st declension) meaning:”trust” (in a person or thing), “self-confidence”, “confidence”.

As you can see, both “fides” and “fiducia”  can mean “trust” and “confidence”, whereas only “fides” means “belief” or “faith”, and only “fiducia” means “self-confidence”.

To sum up, I have however to repeat that the use of “fides” or “fiducia” depends on the sentence where they are placed.

So, let’s me know where you want to use “belief” so that I can suggest the most appropriate Latin noun.

Best regards,

Maria

Latin

Maria