Latin/Translation for football team motto

Question
Hi Maria.  I started a new children's football club last year and decided on the motto "The goal is to play", with the obvious double meaning for "goal" in that the aim/point of what we do is the playing of the game, not actually scoring goals or winning (which are very nice bonuses, but they are not the "point").

I did some research at the time and thought that "Meta est ludere" might be the Latin translation - but I have never studied Latin.  We are about to get some clothing printed with the motto on so I wanted to be absolutely right with the translation!  Can you help?

Grazie
Neil

Answer
Hello Neil,

"The goal is to play", with the obvious double meaning for "goal" in that the aim/point of what we do is the playing of the game, not actually scoring goals or winning, as you say,can be translated as “Finis est ludere” or “Propositum est ludere” where  both “finis “ and  “propositum” mean just “goal” in the sense of the aim/purpose of what we do.

As for  the noun “meta”, pleae note that this Latin  feminine noun, which indicated the conical column set in the ground at the Roman Circus, i.e. the turning point/the pillar in a Circus race, does not mean “goal” in the sense of “aim”/ “purpose”,  and then “Meta est ludere” is not so appropriate and right for the translation of “The goal is to play".

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best regards,

Maria
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-The goal = FINIS (nominative case, masculine noun, 3rd declension)or PROPOSITUM (nominative, neuter noun, 2nd declension)

-is = EST (3rd person singular, present indicative of SUM, I am)

-to play = LUDERE (present infinitive of the verb LUDO, I play)

Latin

Maria