Latin/Translation of a phrase

Question

I am wanting to send a condolences card to a friend who has just lost their partner. He was a Latin teacher and I am trying to translate a phrase that I feel would be thoughtful and appropriate. I have tried to use online tools but when I translate it back it doesn't have the same meaning, so I'm hoping you can help!

I am trying to translate;

Courage, dear heart.

Please could you help?

Many thanks

Sarah

Answer
Hello,

The phrase “Courage, dear heart”, just to  offer a friend your condolences, can be translated as “Fac animo magno fortique sis, carissime!” where the first part is a quotation from Cicero, Ad Familiares (Letters to his Friends), book 6, letter 14, written in 46 BC.

Please note that Latin is obviously different from English and then no literal translation for “Courage, dear heart” is possible, as it would sound absolutely strange in Latin.

That being stated,see below for the component parts of the Latin sentence and their roles.

Best regards,

Maria
________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-Courage = FAC ANIMO MAGNO FORTIQUE SIS (literally,“Try to be of courageous and strong spirit")

-dear heart = CARISSIME (vocative case in the masculine, literally meaning “my dearest”).  

Latin

Maria