Latin/2 variations on how to say "always moving forward without fear"

Hi Maria,

I saw that you answered a question similar to the one I am about to ask but I wanted to clarify the difference between these two forms of the statement: "always moving forward without fear."

1. Semper procedendum sine timore
2. Semper sine metu procedere

Out of the two variations I have provided above, which translates most literally and what are the differences?

I sincerely appreciate your help!

here are the differences between the two Latin sentences  “Semper procedendum sine timore” and “Semper sine metu procedere”:

1.”Semper procedendum sine timore”  literally means: “It is necessary to always move forward without fear” because the Latin passive periphrastic conjugation “procedendum” denotes obligation / necessity just to point out that the action of "moving forward" is something that has to be done.

2.”Semper sine metu procedere” with the Latin present infinitive “procedere”  literally means:“To always move forward without fear” or “Always moving forward without fear” just to point out that the important thing is that you're always moving forward without fear.

To conclude, you should use the translation that is better  expressing what you want to say, according to the above-mentioned explanations.

Read more below.

Best regards,

Note that:

-Always =SEMPER

-moving forward = PROCEDERE (present infinitive of the verb PROCEDO)  or  PROCEDENDUM [EST, implied] (passive impersonal periphrastic of PROCEDO literally meaning:”It is necessary to always move forward” )

-without = SINE (preposition which takes the ablative case)

-fear = METU (ablative singular of METUS, 4th declension) or TIMORE (ablative singular  of TIMOR, 3rd declension)

As you can see, Latin word order can be different from English as Latin is an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the ending, not by the order of the words.

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: