Latin/Proper Application of Latin Numerals

Question
Five Star - Four Star
Five Star - Four Star  

Three, Two and One Star
Three, Two and One Sta  
I need to know the proper usage/spelling of Latin numerals I and III. I'm in the process of having five circle seal embosser molds created for award certificates.

Answer
Hello,

first of all I have to tell you that the  correct usage/spelling of Latin numerals in every “Circle Seal Design “ must be as follows:

UNA STELLA (One star, in the singular)
DUAE STELLAE (Two stars, in the plural)
TRES STELLAE (Three stars, in the plural)

QUATTUOR STELLAE (Four stars, in the plural)
QUINQUE STELLAE  (Five stars, in the plural).

Please note that:

-in UNA STELLA  (one star) the cardinal number UNA (from UNUS which is a declinable adjective) is in the nominative feminine singular as it agrees with the feminine noun STELLA (nominative case,1st declension)

-in DUAE STELLAE (two stars) the cardinal number DUAE (from DUO, which is a declinable adjective) is in the nominative feminine plural as it agrees with the feminine plural noun STELLAE (nominative case,1st declension)

-in TRES STELLAE (three stars) the cardinal number TRES, which is a declinable adjective, is in the nominative feminine plural as it agrees with the feminine plural noun STELLAE (nominative case, 1st declension).

As for  QUATTUOR STELLA  and QUINQUE STELLA, please note that QUATTUOR (four) and QUINQUE (five) are correct as they are indeclinable and then have no inflections, whereas STELLA (nominative singular) is wrong for it must be STELLAE in the nominative plural.

So, you must write correctly as follows:

QUATTUOR  STELLAE for  FOUR STARS (plural)
QUINQUE STELLAE   for  FIVE STARS (plural)

To conclude, the  correct usage/spelling of Latin numerals in every “Circle Seal Design “ must be as follows:

UNA STELLA (One star)
DUAE STELLAE (Two stars)
TRES STELLAE (Three stars)

QUATTUOR STELLAE (Four stars)
QUINQUE STELLAE  (Five stars).

Hope all is clear enough.

Best regards,

Maria

Latin

Maria