Latter-day Saints/god of flesh and bones

QUESTION: if the reason why the mormon god became god and has a body of flesh and bones because he was once human like us progressing in the planet of kolob, then should the holy spirit has to have a body of flesh and bones since he is also earned the title God? this how the mormon church see it? remember for mormons, in order to become a god we should obey the word of wisdom, obediance to the lord and most of all have a body of flesh and bone like human beings...can you show me then how the holy spirit became god when i can't find anywhere that he has a body like us. since ya'll sound like that mormons know god personaly

ANSWER: I think the problem here is with the word "God". It can mean a lot of different things to different people, or even different things to the same person when in a different context. As you've asked the question, I'm unsure exactly what you mean by it.

We believe the "Godhead" is composed of three separate and distinct individuals. God the Father who has a perfect body of flesh and bone; Jesus Christ who, like us, lacked a body of flesh and bone before this life, but now that he has been born, died, and then resurrected, also has a perfect immortal body of flesh and bone like God the Father; and the Holy Spirit (or Holy Ghost) who is a personage of spirit and does not have a physical body.

These three, before the formation of this world, made up the Godhead as we know it. Christ at the time, due to his intelligence and obedience to the laws of God was a God. Had he progressed as far as God the Father? No.

Christ addressed this topic personally during his mortal ministry. We find it recorded in John 10:30-38.

30 I and my Father are one.

31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?

33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.

38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

In verse 30, we find Christ stating he is one with God. This should be understood to mean that they were one in purpose. If it's interpreted as God the Father and Christ physically being one, then the verses preceding it make for some very strange statements.

In verse 31, we see the Jews are angry with Christ for suggesting he is like God and they take up stones to stone him.

In verse 32, Christ questions which of his acts they're stoning him for.

In verse 33, the Jews state they're not stoning him for his good works, but for blasphemy in that he has equated himself to God.

In verse 34, Jesus makes reference to something recording in the Old Testament of their time (which unfortunately lacks an exact reference), and indicates that it stated they were all gods. He continues on in 35 and 36 and asks if this Prophet, who receives revelation from God, and has recorded in in the Scriptures (the law), and the Scriptures cannot be wrong, has stated that you are gods, why do you say I (Christ) commit blasphemy by equating myself with God when God has sanctified me and sent me into the world?

In verse 37, he shows the yardstick (or the measurement) pretty clearly when he basically states that if he doesn't do the work of God, then don't believe him. He continues with this line of thinking in 38 where he states if they don't believe him, but they do see that he does the works of God, then believe him because of the works, because, in essence, if he's doing the works of God, then he must be one with God.

From this, we can conclude the measurement is the obedience the person has to God. Christ, being perfect, having never sinned, may this correctly be referred to as God. He is not THE God, our OUR God, but he is A God - the Son of God to be exact. Our Savior and our Redeemer. Through him, and through his atonement, it becomes possible for us to one day become perfect like him, and hence like God.

Just as Christ was and is perfect in his obedience to God, so is the Holy Spirit. They are all one in purpose working towards a common cause, under the direction of God. It is their obedience to God, and the power which God has granted them to do his work as a result of this obedience, which makes them gods. God grants similar power to men as is necessary to perform His works when they are sufficiently obedient to His commands. This is the power by which many of the miracles found in the Old and New Testaments of the Bible were performed.

QUESTION: Notice that the question i provided to be answered, I never mentioned Jesus Christ..I only asked about the holy were telling me how jesus become god .i'll then ask my question in a more simpler way...does the holy spirit have a body of flesh and bones?...since he is also God...Keep in mind the Mormon definition of God or becoming a god.

Quote You:"Through him, and through his atonement, it becomes possible for us to one day become perfect like him, and hence like God."

Quote You:"It is their(Jesus/Holy Spirit) obedience to God, and the power which God has granted them to do his work as a result of this obedience, which makes them gods."

So basicaly your saying is that a spirit has to go through a human stage and through obedience to God, we can become gods.

Once again, it all depends on what you mean by the term "gods". I used Christ to show the progression in becoming "like God". Clearly, Christ (depending on context) could be considered a "God" before he had a physical body - just as the Holy Ghost can be considered a "God". For both of them though, in this premortal state, without a body, there were clear differences between them and God the Father. He had a body, they did not. We were in a similar situation. We came here to gain a body and become like God. Will the Holy Ghost one day gain a physical body of his own? We assume so, but the details of how this might happen have not been revealed. It seems to follow the logical progression, but we don't know.

So if you define "God" as a being having the perfections of God and holding the authority of God to do all things necessary in his service to God, then yes, the Holy Ghost is certainly a "God" though he lacks a physical body.

That is really the defining attributes there alone. An immortal physical body is not enough. We believe all men will be resurrected after this life through the atonement of Christ. All men - regardless of how they have lived their lives. As such, there will be those with immortal physical bodies who will be cast out of Heaven and become subject to the devil. These individuals would not fit the definition I use for "God".

In gaining a perfect physical body, we become more like God, but an immortal body of flesh and bone is not the defining attribute of "God".

In my last reply, I quote a section of the New Testament where Christ made reference to a statement "Ye are gods". That would just as easily apply to us before this life when we lacked physical bodies and were spirits. Take for instance Michael the archangel. We know he (and probably us as well, though he's specifically stated) helped organize the Earth before he was born as Adam. That's a fairly impressive act given our current knowledge and understanding in this state - one that many might attribute to a "god", and in fact, in this case, was performed by the authority of God the Father which Michael held.

If a "god" is simply a being that can perform miracles, then it is easy to think of all of us in that that time and place as gods. However, the scriptures are filled with accounts of miracles that have been performed by the power of the devil as well. Using this definition, we must then define the devil as a "god" (though perhaps a fallen one) as well.

So if your definition of a "God" includes being "God like" and is intended to show a clear difference between the kind of being God is and the Devil is, you can see that the definition can't swing solely on the attribute of a physical body, or on the attribute of being able to perform acts we cannot currently understand (miracles). The defining attribute of being "God like" is our obedience to God - our willingness to do His work.

If you still feel I've missed your question here, please define what you mean by "become gods" so I can address your question more directly.

Latter-day Saints

Gene Black

I can answer questions related to LDS beliefs and history as well as doctrinal questions pertaining to the standard works (Bible, Book of Mormon, etc.) I believe strongly in personal revelation and hope that all answers I provide will be carefully considered, and prayed about before being accepted.

I've been a member of the LDS Church all of my life, have served a mission for the Church, have been sealed to my wife in the Washington, DC temple, and enjoy reading books on LDS history and the teachings of the prophets.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

A love for people and a strong desire to seek after the word of God. I try hard to follow the command "Seek not to declare my word, but first seek to obtain my word, and then shall your tongue be loosed; then, if you desire, you shall have my Spirit and my word, yea, the power of God unto the convincing of men."