Latter-day Saints/Hell

Question
Hi
What will happen to non Mormon and non Christian in the afterlife? According Matthew 13 50 I believe didn't Jesus say that does who don't believe in me will burn in hell?

Is hell in Mormomonism a place of fire and pain forever?

Thank you

Answer
Hi Calvin,
I will be happy to answer your question. Please note that I am not LDS Mormon and belong to a different Restoration church that believes in the Bible and BoM (Book of Mormon) only.

Both Bible and BoM strongly teach there is one Heaven, one Hell, and that the righteous will inherit Heaven and the wicked Hell. Both books teach that whichever one goes to will abide there eternally with no chance to change or repent and change thier fate.

1 Nephi 4:46 And I said unto them, that it was an awful gulf, which separateth the wicked from the tree of life, and also from the saints of God. 47 And I said unto them, that it was a representation of that awful hell, which the angel said unto me was prepared for the wicked. 48 And I said unto them that our father also saw, that the justice of God did also divide the wicked from the righteous;

Luke 16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

The Utah LDS church and some other factions teach 3 Degrees of Glory where there is no real hell, but rather a bad place for the wicked(Telestial Glory), a middle place for the so so people (Terrestrial Glory), and the third level for the righteous (Celestial Glory). They teach people can go from a higher level down to a lower level and teach the gospel to them which if they accept they can escape the lower levels and yet be saved. However both Bible and BoM strongly teach opposite this in that there is only one Heaven, one Hell, and once one goes to either place they cannot change or hope to escape by any means.

Alma 16:231 Ye can not say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God. 232 Nay, ye can not say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world. 233 For behold, if ye have procrastinated the day of your repentance, even until death, behold, ye have become subjected to the spirit of the devil, and he doth seal you his; 234 Therefore the Spirit of the Lord hath withdrawn from you, and hath no place in you, and the devil hath all power over you; and this is the final state of the wicked.

So what then for the non-Christian or non-Mormon? Shall they go to hell just because they never knew the Gospel and never had a chance to accept Christ?

Moroni 8:25 For behold that all little children are alive in Christ, and also all they that are without the law. 26 For the power of redemption cometh on all they that have no law; wherefore, he that is not condemned, or he that is under no condemnation, can not repent; and unto such baptism availeth nothing. 27 But it is mockery before God, denying the mercies of Christ, and the power of his Holy Spirit, and putting trust in dead works. 28 Behold, my son, this thing had not ought to be; for repentance is unto them that are under condemnation, and under the curse of a broken law.

2 Nephi 6:54 For they are delivered by the power of him: for the atonement satisfieth the demands of his justice upon all those who have not the law given to them, that they are delivered from that awful monster, death and hell, and the devil, and the lake of fire and brimstone, which is endless torment;

Both Bible and BoM strongly teach that only the accountable, those who truly knew the difference between good and evil, yet chose evil knowingly are in danger of hell. Those who do not know the gospel, yet tried to be good with what knowledge they had, shall have salvation. This applies to infants, little children and even adults who never knew right from wrong and if they sinned they sinned ignorantly. In the Old Testament they even offered sacrifices to atone for the sins of those who sinned ignorantly. The Apostle Paul were a murderer and persecutor of the church yet obtained mercy, accepted the Gospel, repented, was baptized, and endured unto the end.

Mark:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Both books strongly teach that once you die time ceases, you enter an eternal state where you cannot change, your fate will be sealed.

II Nephi 6:38 And assuredly, as the Lord liveth, for the Lord God hath spoken it, and it is his eternal word, which cannot pass away, that they which are righteous shall be righteous still, and they which are filthy shall be filthy still;

Book of Mormon 4:74 And then cometh the judgment of the Holy One upon them; and then cometh the time that he that is filthy, shall be filthy still, and he that is righteous, shall be righteous still; he that is happy, shall be happy still; and he that is unhappy, shall be unhappy still.

Revelation 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

Those who knew good from wrong and chose wrong are filthy, and as the scriptures state, no unclean thing can inherit the kingdom of heaven. How could Heaven be Heaven if it were full of murderers, crooks, rapists and the like?

So what is the burning fire of hell?

Mosiah 1:127 And if they be evil, they are consigned to an awful view of their own guilt and abominations, which doth cause them to shrink from the presence of the Lord, into a state of misery and endless torment, from whence they can no more return: therefore, they have drunk damnation to their own souls.

When the wicked die they face the judgment where they shall behold their entire life in infinite detail, and behold how they willfully rebelled and spurned God, how they sinned and brought hurt and misery to others, and behold Christ before them who gave them the truth and a pure example... and they will have a bright view of their guilt and shame and shall be more comfortable in Hell with the Devil than they would be in Heaven. In some respects they send themselves to hell. And once one dies time ceases, and there is no more chance to change, and thus if they were filthy, they stay filthy eternally.

I hope this helps answer your question, it can be a lengthy subject.

God Bless,
Mike  

Latter-day Saints

Michael Kelley