Latter-day Saints/Questions Answered by Expert LauraMaery Gold

SubjectDate Asked
polygamy6/1/2009
  Q: I am a member, but have heard of some articles and books coming out about how Joseph Smith had 33 ...
  A: I would be surprised if anything is "coming out" that hasn't been well known for decades and ...
archeological and historical proof5/31/2009
  Q: Laura Can you show me archeological and historical proof from non-Mormon sources that prove that ...
  A: Here is a Mapquest map showing that people and places named in the Book of Mormon are true: ...
Serving on a mission4/27/2009
  Q: Do all young men have to serve on a mission? Is it compulsary?
  A: All young men in the Church are counseled to prepare themselves to serve missions. But once they ...
Godhood11/26/2008
  Q: Do u believe that mormons will reach godhood?
  A: Latter-day Saints are neither more nor less likely than anyone else to achieve perfect unity with ...
Bible10/5/2008
  Q: How do I know everything about the Bible? How do I go about doing that?
  A: After nearly fifty years of studying the Bible -- in great depth -- I can say with some authority: ...
Death10/3/2008
  Q: I don't know if the answer that I get from this is trustworthy. I have three very important ...
  A: Your questions fall into two categories. I'll address the second question first: This is one of the ...
God command of killing8/25/2008
  Q: An Atheist asked me if your God Jesus is love and love us then why He command Saul to killed every ...
  A: The answer to that profound question -- Why does God sometimes command His people to kill? -- ...
Relief Society expectations7/23/2008
  Q: first of all I would like to express that I love the true gospel of Jesus Christ and being able to ...
  A: No, sewing and needlework is absolutely no part of the gospel. It's strictly a cultural artifact. ...
reincarnation1/7/2008
  Q: I come from a Buddhist background and there is much Buddhist scripture to support reincarnation. I'm ...
  A: I think this article will do a good job of explaining the LDS view of incarnation and eternal life: ...
Woman's salvation and other stuff1/1/2008
  Q: I have a couple of questions about your beliefs. 1) It seems to me that if the husband calls the ...
  A: No, you're not at all argumentative. I understand your concerns. I'll take my best shot at ...
ressurection of Jesus12/11/2007
  Q: Do mormons believe in the ressurection of Jesus?
  A: We absolutely believe in Christ's resurrection. More so than most people, in fact, since we -- ...
canceled baptism11/24/2007
  Q: Greetings! I have a question about canceling baptism. What exactly is it? My husband was harassed ...
  A: I'm not certain what you're asking. Yes, you may write a letter to the bishop asking to have your ...
It feels right, but its a risk to be wrong.10/11/2007
  Q: Okay, I am definitely a Christian and have been my whole life. My Grandpa and all my uncles are ...
  A: I'll do my best to respond. The gospel is a grand array of principles and lessons, so it's difficult ...
Help !9/22/2007
  Q: I studied many faith searching for my life to have meaning.I did not find anything that filled that ...
  A: I am delighted for you that you're finding peace in the gospel. You're absolutely right that you ...
Did you get it?9/20/2007
  Q: I have awaited a response and after talking to some folks locally they suggested maybe it is the ...
  A: Sorry for the delay. I'm just swamped with some writing projects that are eating my life up! <grin> ...
God and his never changing?9/18/2007
  Q: I had to change questions, you wrote.. Dear Brother Charlie -- I appreciate the ongoing dialogue. ...
  A: The issue here is one of the inadequacy of language. To say God never changes, when God demonstrably ...
God9/9/2007
  Q: Does God exist in a physical body? A body of flesh and bone? Did God start with a mortal body (like ...
  A: Yes, we believe Luke 24:39, where the resurrected Christ assures His disciples that He has a body of ...
Mormonism9/5/2007
  Q: Why do Mormons have so many children? Does it have something to do with "spirit children" that ...
  A: We have so many children because we believe it's a mitvah, an act of charity and compassion, to give ...
Joining the LDS Church8/27/2007
  Q: I am currently investigating and interestested in joining the LDS church. I have had one lesson ...
  A: It's important, as you consider joining the Church, to seek confirmation from the Lord. Fast and ...
questions regarding faith7/13/2007
  Q: I am really curios about the mormon church,I have gone to church but at times work too much to get ...
  A: Wow. Well, have you had a chance to talk with the missionaries in your area yet? They're there to ...
Mormonism7/13/2007
  Q: i would like to ask you what are the main reason why Mormons practice polygamy. Thank you for answer
  A: Mormons haven't practiced polygamy since the 1800s. The reason it was practiced back then is ...
END OF TIMES7/2/2007
  Q: A Morman man told my friend that Jesus is coming in about 2 years to Independance, Mo., and he and ...
  A: No. Nor is it the belief of any rational Mormon. I suspect this man is either pulling your leg, or ...
Missions6/27/2007
  Q: I know that young Mormons are required to go on mission trips but I would like to know if only ...
  A: With few exceptions, married young men and young women may not serve missions. Generally, only ...
Mormonism6/3/2007
  Q: When was the Morman Church founded? Who founded the Morman Church?
  A: You can read a little about the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the ...
language4/12/2007
  Q: Was the Bible originally written in Greek or Latin? Either way, since no one currently fluently ...
  A: You're correct that the Bible is not completely accurate. In fact, the majority of the Bible was ...
Hill Cummorah4/8/2007
  Q: Did Joseph Smith believe in two Hill Cummorahs? I believe Joseph Smith believed one to be in New ...
  A: Several points: 1. The hill in New York is probably, but not certainly, the same hill where Joseph ...
Mountain Meadow2/7/2007
  Q: What is your take on the Mountain Meadows Massacre? Does the LDS Church have an “official” position ...
  A: The LDS Church does not have an "official" position on non-doctrinal issues. Mountain Meadows is a ...
What is an apostate?1/6/2007
  Q: Sister Gold, thank you for answering my question. Yes, I have further questions. According to the ...
  A: The Savior's reference to His Father's house having "many mansions" describes what we call the ...
Mormon doctrine11/19/2006
  Q: I don't have a response yet.Laura, Where would I find the written doctrine about Jesus and Lucifer ...
  A: The answer to your question is found in the Biblical book of Isaiah 14:9-17 et. seq., and is ...
The Great Apostasy11/19/2006
  Q: No, I still need an answer.I have a question concerning the Great Apostasy. I am a firm believer in ...
  A: The following resources will respond to your inquiry, I believe, and will do so better than I might. ...
two religions, polar oposites11/19/2006
  Q: Laura, Hello, my name is Sang Cho, I am a 16 years old. Just recently my Mormon friend Todd, turned ...
  A: Sang Cho... Thank you for writing. It sounds to me as though Todd is a very nice guy who is trying ...
Jesus as God10/3/2006
  Q: Much of Christianity subscribes to the doctrine of the Trinity, which is fully expressed in the ...
  A: In fact, Latter-day Saints believe that Jesus Christ is Jehovah -- God, Savior, Redeemer of all ...
Peter9/29/2006
  Q: How do you explain Peter denial of Christ? Considering that shortly before the denial he alone ...
  A: Impetuous bold faith mixed with paralyzing fear seems to be a theme in Peter's life. And Peter ...
A,ll affluent apostles9/28/2006
  Q: Why are there only very prominent and wealthy businessmen in the Qurom of twelve apostels in the ...
  A: I fear, though, that your premise is flawed. There are twelve apostles and three members of the ...
fornication today9/3/2006
  Q: According to your knowledge and beliefs what is your stance about fornication today? Do you still ...
  A: I believe the following document will respond to your inquiries better than I could on my own: ...
latter day saints physical dimension8/3/2006
  Q: as the moremens only have provincial temples, how are followers of the faith expectec to full fill ...
  A: Latter-day Saints do their best to fulfil their religious duties by being prepared to attend the ...
Study Guide6/2/2006
  Q: What Book of Mormon study guide would you suggest for an adult class basically unfamiliar with the ...
  A: The Church publishes a Book of Mormon study guide. It's available on line at ...
Just War Doctrine5/8/2006
  Q: Does the LDS Church have a doctrine that states what makes a war just or not, similar to the ...
  A: Nope. We believe in the principle of personal revelation, which makes individuals accountable to ...
Doctrinal Question2/27/2006
  Q: first off thanks for taking a moment to review my question. I am an LDS investigator and there is ...
  A: I imagine you might find the following resources helpful: ...
I was just watching the BYU...2/26/2006
  Q: I was just watching the BYU channel and thought I saw a woman preaching from the pulpit. Is that ...
  A: If you'll read Paul's prohibition in context -- that is, read _all_ of 1 Corinthians 14 -- you'll ...
The allegory of the tame and wild olive trees12/30/2005
  Q: Greeting LauraMaery, I am currently reading the Book of Mormon and I will be baptised on January ...
  A: Sorry I took so long to respond to this question. Busy time for my family. This may be a useful ...
baptizing the dead12/28/2005
  Q: friend: I have run across a teaching "baptizing the dead" could you please help me to understand ...
  A: Rather than repeat the good work of other people, I'll simply refer you to their responses to this ...
What is a prophet?12/8/2005
  Q: What is a prophet?
  A: I'm not sure how much in-depth information you're looking for so, for now, I'll simply send along a ...
General questions about Lemhi & observance.12/1/2005
  Q: I have only a few short questions to ask. I appreciate your taking the time to reply to these types ...
  A: I'm a bit overwhelmed with a writing project right now, so my answers will be necessarily brief: 1. ...
whats up with that11/17/2005
  Q: My qestions are. Whats up with the holy underware? Not in Bible. where is it said we can become a ...
  A: Your assertions, though, are without foundation. 1. Entire sections of the bible are dedicated to ...
Doctrine11/8/2005
  Q: Why did Brigham Young teach that Adam is “our Father and our God” when both the Bible and the Book ...
  A: too. Adam's body is a creation. Adam the individual, the spiritual being is -- like you -- eternal ...
Doctrine11/8/2005
  Q: Since the time when Brigham Young taught that both the moon and the sun were inhabited by people, ...
  A: It's important to distinguish between "teachings" and "speculations." While I'd venture to guess ...
Contacting the dead-the occult10/19/2005
  Q: What are your beliefs on ouija boards, psychics, fortune tellers, numerology, horoscopes, and ...
  A: John and Jenny Walsh have a great web site that will respond to this question. It's at: ...
Church history and the founding of the LDS10/12/2005
  Q: giving people a chance to clear up some questions. I was wondering...I believe that LDS teaching is ...
  A: As a point of doctrine, Latter-day Saints do not place a precise end-point to the time when the ...
temple ready5/22/2005
  Q: What does it mean to be temple ready.? Does my l0% have to be in money or can it be given in ...
  A: I'll answer them in reverse order. It's helpful to work with your bishop to determine how you should ...
Working in a Casino4/30/2005
  Q: What is the Prophet's view about members working in a Casino?
  A: The prophet hasn't stated his personal view, to my knowledge -- though in truth it doesn't much ...
bible2/6/2005
  Q: I'm a convert to the church. I grew up using the RSV and have been using the NRSV for the last 10 ...
  A: I'm sorry for my delay in responding to you. I've been involved in a small automobile accident, and ...
missions1/26/2005
  Q: I have a question about missions. My Daughter was dating a young man who is about to return from ...
  A: I appreciate your concerns, and would like to address them. My own son left on his mission December ...
The nature of Sin1/20/2005
  Q: I am currently working on a personal project about the nature of Sin. I am the artist and co-author ...
  A: I'm a student of many faiths, but it might be better to approach people of non-Christian faiths ...
Presence of God12/19/2004
  Q: As a Catholic, I was taught that through prayer one can come to experience God's presence directly, ...
  A: Sorry for the delay. Our family is experiencing serious medical problems, and I haven't had the time ...
Birth control in marriage10/27/2004
  Q: Gold, please, would you answer to me which of contraceptional methods in marriage are forbidden and ...
  A: In general, the Lord has told members of the Church that children should be welcome in marriage, and ...
the god10/19/2004
  Q: I now understand what you are saying.I was wondering if you could anwser one more questione.Is jesus ...
  A: Yes, three separate, and individual, Gods. But because they are each absolutely perfect, and ...
more of god10/17/2004
  Q: The scriptures that I was thinking of were the following. Deuteronomy 32:39. 2Samual7:22 ...
  A: If you look at the original Hebrew, you'll see that in most instances where God is mentioned, the ...
GOD10/15/2004
  Q: ..In his book the teaching of the prophet joseph smith he says..."I have always declared God to be ...
  A: The Prophet Joseph said that while they are united in purpose, Jesus Christ is a separate physical ...
cousin marriage9/28/2004
  Q: What is the LDS stance on first cousin marriage?
  A: Our Twelfth Article of Faith reads: "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and ...
BoM9/16/2004
  Q: What is the time frame that events in the Book of Mormon take place in?
  A: The largest part of the Book of Mormon narrative begins at the time of Jeremiah, the Old Testament ...
Mormon origin8/23/2004
  Q: I would like know the origin of Mormons and other usefull information about them Thank you Nazam
  A: You can find a brief introduction to the history of the Church at this web site: ...
mormon beliefs8/16/2004
  Q: would you consider mormonism and true biblical Christianity to be one in the same? why or why not?
  A: The short answer is "Yes." Here's the longer answer: Latter-day Saints believe the original ...
children of god8/12/2004
  Q: So, jesus is the only son of "the father", so how many daughters did he have. It keeps on saying ...
  A: Latter-day Saints believe not that the Savior was the only Son of the Father, but that He was the ...
MORMONISM8/10/2004
  Q: ARE MORMONS CHRISTIAN?WHY DO MORMONS DO GENEALOGY?AND WHY DO MOMORMONS PRACTICE POLYGAMY?
  A: Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, whom many people call "Mormons", are ...
Stem cell research7/31/2004
  Q: Does your Church take a position on the ethics of stem cell research?
  A: To answer this question, one must understand the Latter-day Saint understanding of the human soul. ...
Prayer7/28/2004
  Q: Why do mormons fold their arms to pray?
  A: Praying with folded arms is an old tradition, not a doctrine. It reminds the worshipper that God is ...
Joseph Smith7/11/2004
  Q: I did a search about Joseph Smith one day while I was bored. The search brought up a book on the ...
  A: Ah, boredom. It relishes recruiting volunteers for the devil's workshop. <wink> Yes, the prophet ...
BoM7/3/2004
  Q: Two questions: Why is polygamy condemned in the Book of Mormon? If government ever passed laws ...
  A: It would be somewhat inaccurate to say that polygamy in and of itself is condemned in the Book of ...
mormonism6/30/2004
  Q: I noticed that the category of Mormonism was found under the subdivision of Christianity in this ...
  A: I appreciate your sincerity. Mormon is a slang nickname for the correct name of the Church: The ...
Do I have to be an Aaronic Priest?6/29/2004
  Q: I'm investigating the Book of Mormon and my ward gives me the feeling that I have to be an Aaronic ...
  A: I'm glad to hear that you're interested in learning more about the Church of Jesus Christ of ...
undergarmets6/24/2004
  Q: i heard that mormons have to wear undergarmets. is this true? and if so, can you tell me a little ...
  A: I'm happy to respond. Wearing the garment is a devotion. It has ancient origins, and has been a ...
decaffinated drinks6/24/2004
  Q: i understand that mormons can not have coffee and cola's and tea's... but what if you have a caffine ...
  A: Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints adhere to a dietary code called the Word ...
Women over men6/20/2004
  Q: I have a problem with women being in positions over men, especially as Judges and political offices. ...
  A: It's an interesting one, particularly in view of the fact that I often get the oppositePeople who ...
1 Nephi 18:254/14/2004
  Q: And it came to pass that we did find upon the land of promise, as we journeyed in the wilderness, ...
  A: Paul: Others have responded to this question better than I could, so I'll simply pass along their ...
This is a serious question, don't erase this4/11/2004
  Q: I have read many things about the LDS faith and found many things wrong with. I've read a couple ...
  A: I'm writing to follow up on a question you asked on AllExperts last April...I'm very interested in ...
Priesthood4/5/2004
  Q: why are only men permited to be priests? I've been baptized but haven't been attending church, will ...
  A: >why are only men permited to be priests? That's not quite accurate. LDS women do have priesthood ...
about drinking tea3/6/2004
  Q: i've been talking to Mormons on saturday mornings these past 4 saturday's, today i just found out u ...
  A: The scriptures are replete with discussions on kosher law and temperance. There are literally ...
Dear Sister Gold,I e-mailed...2/27/2004
  Q: I e-mailed you a question last week pertaining to genealogy.Have not heard from you.Hope you have ...
  A: ..I did answer (and not at all upset by your question. It made me smile!)...The system must not have ...
Genealogy2/19/2004
  Q: Hi again,I have been reading the BoM quite often,and have been listening to K-ZION internet radio at ...
  A: I'm writing to follow up on a question you asked on AllExperts last spring...I'm very interested in ...
Places of worship2/17/2004
  Q: As I've just asked one of the AllExperts panel on Islam about why non-Muslims aren't allowed to ...
  A: In point of fact, people who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are ...
afterlife2/11/2004
  Q: Where do LDS members go in the afterlife if they resign from the church?
  A: A person's eternal place is unrelated to his membership in the Church. There is no Church in the ...

All Questions in This Category

Latter-day Saints

<font color=green>LauraMaery Gold</font>

Top Expert on this page