Law School/Why get an LLM or SJD?

Question
Why would someone get an LLM (masters in law) or SJD( doctor of juridical science)? A JD is all that is needed to practice law so why go beyond that? What could you do with an LLM or SJD that you couldn't do with only a JD? Most law professors do not even hold a degree beyond the JD. What jobs or professions for available for people with an LLM or SJD?

Answer
Hi Jackson -

I'm not sure about a SJD. I never actually heard of that. An LLM just gives you a focus. It means you took extra classes in a specific area of the law whereas a JD is a general law degree. If you absolutely know you want to practice in a specific area, an LLM might be cool. I think you can also go back for an LLM later. Hope this helps.  

Law School

Evelyn R. Hernandez