Lawns/Centipede Sod

Question
Hi, I live in Jacksonville, NC. my husband and I just laid centipede sod in our backyard and it looks to be going dormant for the winter. Do I need to water it or do I just wait until spring and water it like crazy?
Thanks,  Jillian

Answer
You need to know for sure whether the grass is going dormant or dying.
Look around at other established lawns. Are they showing the same symptoms? If "yes", then your lawn may be going dormant.
If "no" then it can mean that the sod is drying out and does need watering.
Sod pieces start to dry out along the edges; so if the edges are turning brown and the sod is moist , then you might need to seal the seams (with sand) rather than apply water.
If the sod pieces are dry, and they are not rooted   then you need to water lightly to wet the sod and the ground below to encourage rooting.
If the sod is rooted in, then water as as normal for this time of the year for centipede grass.
If you are not sure about this, check with your County Extension Office HERE  

Lawns

Ronald B Persaud