Lawns/runner type grass

Question
QUESTION: I had centipede grass in the Carolinas and loved it, but tried planting it here (Hilo, HI) with no luck.  We average maybe 150" rain per year (it rains just about every night)and I understand centipede doesn't like it that wet. Can you recommend some other type of runner grass that's tolerant to these conditions? We have essentially no winter, though growth slows due to shorter days.  Thank you.

ANSWER: Rick,
     I imagine that any warm season grass will work.
 Click Here for more information.

QUESTION: I know any warm season grass will work- it works too well!  Grass grows like the proverbial weed here.  When we bought this place the grass was 12' high in places. What I want is a runner type grass that doesn't need to be mowed so often.  It seems that centipede and zoysia don't like it so wet.  I'm looking for something that'll crowd out the taller grasses in time and not grow out, not up.  Thank you.

Answer
The link I posted in my reply gave a list of grasses which have been tested and tried under conditions similar to what you described.
You know your environment and what are Your expectations for Your lawn.
Only You can fine tune the selection.
The link was meant to give you the relevant information.  

Lawns

Ronald B Persaud