Lawns/Coca Cola on Centipede

Question
I was told it was okay to use Coca Cola on centipede grass to reduce the thick thatch.  I am assuming this is a form of an organic procedure for centipede.  I am also assuming the coke acts like a "sugar" and supposedly good for centipede.  Is this okay?

Thank you for reading and responding.

Nancy T

Answer
The full disclosure is that I do not know.
Lawn clippings and other yard waste is composted by heaping the material to keep out air, adding nitrogen to feed the bacteria which will compost the material; and adding enough lime to keep the pH between 6.5 and 8.0. The Temperature should reach 140 to 160 deg. F
Compost heaps are turned inside out every month or so.
Composting lawn mowers work by developing a vacuum under the deck whereby the grass clippings are kept swirling around long enough for them to be finely chopped up before falling to the ground. Their fine state and high temperatures cause them to break down rapidly.  You will therefore understand why this works better in the summer than in the cooler seasons.
I have no doubt that the coca cola treatment has benefits but I would not expect it to break down a thatch layer in centipede grass. I would rely on a good grooming rake and trash bags.  

Lawns

Ronald B Persaud