Lawns/Wild grass removal

Question
Hi. We had an area in our lawn that is strictly wild grass. The rest of our lawn is beautiful Bermuda. We want to get rid of the wild grass and seed Bermuda so it will all look the same and even. Can we just put the Bermuda seed down in the wild grass and the Bermuda will start growing and eventually kill out the wild grass or do we need to kill all the wild grass first then plant the Bermuda seed? Thanks!

Answer
I have to believe that the Bermuda grass that you want is a particular variety. It has been my experience that such specially selected varieties cannot compete successfully with wild, native types of vegetation.
My best advice is to spray  Roundup® and give it enough time to work its way into the farthest corners of the weeds. After 14 days, re-treat any 'green' that shows.
When there is no  'green' showing, mow the area as close as you can. Scalping is acceptable under these circumstances.
Sow seeds and nurture diligently - especially watering.

Lawns

Ronald B Persaud