Lawns/St Augustine growing funny

My St Augustine has started growing on top of itself, the stolons crawling across the yard, sometimes 2 ft long.  This has never happened before, and I'm wondering if my gardener is mowing too high.  If so, what's the best way to get it to  manageable height without killing it in this Texas heat (August - 115 degrees today - murder!)

Thanks for you help!

When St. Augustine turf gets to this stage, one solution  is to "verticut" the lawn. The best time to do this is at the beginning of spring when the grass wants to come out of dormancy and grow.
It can be done at other times but the lawn will look terrible for a considerable time. It will also require a lot of attention with respect to watering.  

Ronald B Persaud

Florida (Central and South) lawns maintenance and troubleshooting.

Work experience in Garden and Technical Sales (Ace Hardware and Lesco). L&O Spray Technican/Horticulturist/Tree permitting (Local Municipality). Commercial Landscape Maintenance (Condo complex and Shopping Mall)

Past member Florida Landscape Maintenance Association (Pinellas County).

On the 'Gardenweb' under the pseudonym "Ronalawn82"

CPO certified (L&O) Florida. Hons. Graduate: Eastern Caribbean Farm Institute (now Eastern Caribbean Institute of Agriculture and Forestry), Trinidad WI.