Lawns/Seedning a Central Florida Lawn

Question
Hello, I very much would appreciate your perspective on how I might best reseed my lawn here in Central Florida.  We are reluctant to install an irrigation system, and therefore stick with Argentine Bahai. I complement use of weed and feed products with manually removing weeds by the roots.  However, when I was away for a few weeks late last summer, the weeds took over in some areas.  

Therefore, I plan to reseed large parts of the yard.  I am considering using Dalen Grass Fast, or another solution that will help keep seedlings moist and keep birds away. (http://www.amazon.com/Dalen-GF1015-10-Foot-15-Foot-Seeding/product-reviews/B000Q),  Overall, my research has shown this would be better than using hay and that it may be worth the expense and extra effort.  I am going to cut the grass very close, catch the cuttings, rake the soil well, seed on the heavy end of the recommended amount, rake the seeds into the well-raked soil, and then make sure the seeds and seedlings stay moist.

My main question is: what approach would you suggest someone that lives in Central Florida take to reseed large parts of their lawn?