Lawns/Fertilizer on new sod

Hello Ronald,

I have a question regarding fertilizing new sod.  I live in Northwest Illinois.  Last fall, the city replaced a storm drain and sewer line in the front of our yard.  When they were done, they laid new sod, quite a large area.  That was in November and very soon thereafter, it got cold and snow came.  As you no doubt are aware, we have had a brutally cold and 65 inches of snowfall.  The city guys didn't really dig out any dirt before they laid the sod, they just grated the yard, so the sod is kinda higher than the rest of the yard.  You can stomp it down, but that will take forever, so my husband and I thought we could rent a roller for the day and level it out as best we can.  The sod has green grass coming through, so I don't think any of it died over the winter.  My husband always fertilizes with Scott's in the spring and fall.  Is it safe to fertilize the sod this spring?

Fertilizing newly laid sod depends upon two conditions.
The sod must be 'rooted in'. You can test this by pulling gently on sod pieces at random.
The weather conditions must favor growth. A good guide is when the minimum air temperature reaches 70 degrees.
Do comply with local regulations regarding fertilizing your landscape.  

Ronald B Persaud

Florida (Central and South) lawns maintenance and troubleshooting.

Work experience in Garden and Technical Sales (Ace Hardware and Lesco). L&O Spray Technican/Horticulturist/Tree permitting (Local Municipality). Commercial Landscape Maintenance (Condo complex and Shopping Mall)

Past member Florida Landscape Maintenance Association (Pinellas County).

On the 'Gardenweb' under the pseudonym "Ronalawn82"

CPO certified (L&O) Florida. Hons. Graduate: Eastern Caribbean Farm Institute (now Eastern Caribbean Institute of Agriculture and Forestry), Trinidad WI.