Lawns/Lawn Not Spreading

Dear My Persaud,

3 months ago raccoons dug up parts of my backyard lawn.  I assumed the grass would just spread and take care of the issue, but there are still bare spots (just soil) today.  Is 3 months not a long enough time for the grass to spread?  I live in San Jose, Ca, and the weather hasn't been very warm since the raccoon dug it up, but it's not cold here either---never drops below 32.  

I'm beginning to think the grass may not spread.  Is there an easy or cheap fix if that's the case?  

There are easy fixes; and there are cheap fixes. I do not know of any that are both.
If the grass you have is grown from seed (eg Bahia), then you will have to re-seed the bare patches.
If it can be grown from existing runners, then it can be left to itself to fill in the bare spots. You can speed up this process by spreading topsoil thinly along the edge of the bare spots. This will stimulate the existing runners to grow into the bare patches. Regular watering and lightly fertilizing will help.
In either case, sodding of the bare patches will provide immediate results; but you will have to treat the new sod specially (mainly watering) in order to obtain permanent results.  

Ronald B Persaud

Florida (Central and South) lawns maintenance and troubleshooting.

Work experience in Garden and Technical Sales (Ace Hardware and Lesco). L&O Spray Technican/Horticulturist/Tree permitting (Local Municipality). Commercial Landscape Maintenance (Condo complex and Shopping Mall)

Past member Florida Landscape Maintenance Association (Pinellas County).

On the 'Gardenweb' under the pseudonym "Ronalawn82"

CPO certified (L&O) Florida. Hons. Graduate: Eastern Caribbean Farm Institute (now Eastern Caribbean Institute of Agriculture and Forestry), Trinidad WI.