Lawns/Challenging Lawn

Question
Greetings,

My name is Steve and I live in the suburbs of Cincinnati, Ohio. Our house has a small front yard in full sun and a backyard that is fairly wooded. Every year, I really struggle with my lawn. Our boys give the front flat yard a real punishment with neighborhood soccer games...and the back is heavily shaded by trees...though the emerald ash borer has killed enough that there is more light than ever before. I laid down some Scotts Turf Builder Weed & Feed about a week ago and I have a big back of Scott's Sun & Shade seed that I have yet to put down. This bag was intended mostly for the back yard...where there is some grass...but also considerable weeds and bald patches. I am wondering how long I should wait after the weed & feed to overseed/seed the backyard. Also, I am just looking for some general guidance on lawn care...the basic plan you would have for caring for a yard that is high traffic, flat, and full sun in the front...low traffic, sloped, and heavily shaded in the back. I realize I can solve elements of this through targeted google searches, but I would be very appreciative if you would be kind enough to give me a season by season breakdown of what you personally would do in this situation. Any advice at all would be welcomed, actually. Thanks so much for your time and consideration.

Sincerely - Steve

Answer
Steve, your questions are difficult for me to answer from my 'remote location. Click on THIS LINK for the Extension Office nearest to you. They will give you advice that is accurate, up to date and relevant.

Lawns

Ronald B Persaud