Lebanon/Marriage to Lebanese Man

Question
Hi David,
Although, I love my husband very much and have tried to make our relationship work, I left him 4 months ago because he had anger issues and said he can't and wouldn't change. It was like he wanted me to leave. When we married he wasn't a citizen and only  became a permanent resident last year. It seems he used me to come and live in Australia permanently.During our marriage he was abusive on a daily basis by yelling about the problems of life, money and family in Lebanon.He is Muslim (Alawi# and I am Church of England. I saw him last week for the first time in 4 months and thought we could talk about what went wrong and I needed to know where we stand but he seemed like he was only interested in his own problems and did not talk about reconciling. English isn't his first language #Arabic)so we have/had communication problems and I also find it hard to understand his culture although I have tried to learn the language, make the food and live the way he does. I'm a romantic where he isn't. However, he came into the house where I live after dropping me off and we had sex. I felt empty afterwards because he left soon after it and never asked me to go back to him. I feel sad and wonder if he is seeing another woman as in his culture the women do not have sex before marriage don't they? I feel in my heart he was deceiving me but I'm not sure. I have always been hanging onto the idea of marriage for keeps with him hoping he will change. I'm 49 and as a result of leaving him I haven't had a proper home, a place I can call my own. I finish nursing in April to become a Enrolled Nurse. I'm in limbo waiting for my husband to be someone he's not.He also change his name from Mohammed to Michael and the surname too.I am finding it more difficult to understand him.Can you explain if these things are normal in Lebanese culture and if he clearly has no interest in being with me?

Answer
Kim, I am sorry you are going through this in your marriage. What is taking place is not cultural specific but rather related to one's character. All major religions teach that marriage is a sacred vow between a man and woman and no religion espouses abuse of any sort. It appears to be as though he might be in the midst of a mid-life crisis and in need of therapy. If he is not willing to seek help then you may be better off with a more permanent seperation.  

Lebanon

David Rababy