Led Zeppelin/Stairway to Heaven boot LP

Question
On another question, you indicate these songs were re-issued on the BBC series from 1971. It appears that Immigrant song & Stairway are from 1971, but the WLL appears similar to the 1969 version, but it's much longer (the BBC version fades out). & the What Is . . . version appears to be slightly different than the one from BBC. Any idea on the source (i.e. date & venue of What is . . . and WLL) from this LP?

Answer
Hi Tim

It's been a long, long time since I'd heard that record, but if I remember correctly,
that version of WLL was a paste job from two gigs.  The first part of the track indeed sounds much like the original version, using a recording from a session for John Peel's "Top Gear" show back in June of '69.  At some point, the recording cuts over to a very dry soundboard tape from the April '71 Paris Theatre show for the medley (Honey Bee, A Mess Of Blues, etc). "BBC Sessions" uses this as well, but with some edits and lots of reverb.
As for "What Is...", I believe the STH boot used the performance from April '71 as well, though the BBC Sessions chose to use the version from the same June 1969 "Top Gear" session mentioned above.

Mike

Led Zeppelin

Mike Caldwell