Led Zeppelin/Led Zeppelin 1st album Crossed and Uncrossed matrix numbers

Question
Hello!

Can you help me to distinguish the uncrossed matrix numbers from the crossed matrix numbers? I am new here , so , i do not know if it is possible to see some pictures of the difference . I see a lot of auctions on ebay and other sites and the items that fetch higher prices are those that have uncrossed matrix numbers and i would like to see one of this ,if it is possible. Kind regards from Portugal

Answer
Hi Paulo

This refers to pressings for the highly desirable initial "turquoise" version of the album, in which the cover's lettering had the band's name in a turquoise color.  Reportedly, no more than 2000 copies made it to the public.  Of those, only the first few hundred came with a stamped matrix number, with no numbers crossed out.  The remaining copies had an inscribed matrix number, with (I believe) the second 8 in "588171" scratched out with a line.  

I don't have a picture of the matrix handy, but the description above should be enough.  The vast majority of the early "turquoise" pressings were the "crossed" versions, which is why the uncrossed ones have the highest prices.  

Mike

Led Zeppelin

Mike Caldwell