Led Zeppelin/signed album cover

john bonham
john bonham  

led zeppelin
led zeppelin  
Mike,I found a copy of in through the out door back in the eighties in an old second hand book shop,it cost me ten dollars.The vinyl and cover are in terrible condition but its signed.I have always had big doubts about the signatures being real.The album is signed on the back.I have attached a couple of photos what do you think?

Hi Paul,

I took a close look at the pictures, and my belief is that the signatures are not authentic.  Jimmy's is way off, and Bonham's is too sloppy.  I'm by no means an autograph expert, but recently I've read lots of articles by those that are.  It's been said that 80% of all autographs are forged.  I've also grown incredibly skeptical of the albums supposedly signed by the entire band.  I can see very rare instances when someone close to the group could pull this off.  But there are hundreds of these "all four signature" copies out there, and it's not like the whole band had time to constantly wander through record stores, offering to sign copies of their albums. I'm glad the shop owner sold your copy for only $10, as that would have been a fair price.

Led Zeppelin

Mike Caldwell

I have been a lifetime Led Zeppelin researcher (not just fan). Have gained a strong reputation as an appraiser of their rare records and memorabilia. For various reasons, I cannot respond to emails sent to my personal account, but I will always respond to questions posted here!

Countless hours of biographical research and personal interaction with relevant individuals. Avid contributor to Led Zeppelin newsgroups since 1997 (check Google groups!)

Bullseye News Magazine. The Vapid Voice.

Masters Degree, Computer Science. Bachelor's Degree, Psychology.

Several literary awards.