Led Zeppelin/Candy Store Rock

Question
Les McCann
Les McCann  
Hello Mike,
I am a collector of acetates mainly but I also collect test pressings. Four years ago I bought a test pressing by Les McCann on the Speciality Records Corporation label,stamped May 28th 1976. The reverse side has no label though it does have a recording which I assumed to be a mono/stereo track of the Les McCann issue so I never listened to it. Recently whilst ordering my collection I played it and found it to be Candy Store Rock by Led Zeppelin. There is a matrix number in the run out which is ST-SS-31756-1, There is also a letter S on its side further along the run out.
I have attached an image of the Les McCann label for your benefit.
Would it be possible for you to let me know if it is a genuine recording or not.
Dean.

Answer
Hi Dean

From the information provided, the short answer is yes, I do believe it to be genuine.
Though the "Presence" album had already been released, the "Candy Store Rock" single came out later that summer.  Thus, the date stamp makes sense.  The matrix corresponds to some pressings I've seen of "Candy Store Rock" (stereo on one side, mono on the other).  
As to how this weird dual pressing came to be, that's a mystery.  Specialty did have some association with Led Zeppelin, though primarily during the band's earlier years.  It's hard to believe that this was intentional, but possibly McCann's pressing was made on a disc mistaken as unused.

Mike

Led Zeppelin

Mike Caldwell