Led Zeppelin/zoso

What does zoso mean/stand for?Give details please.

Hi Mike

Each member of the band chose a representative symbol for the fourth album, and Page created/chose one which resembled the word "zoso".  Thus, many fans informally used it as the fourth album's "nickname".  The symbol itself, however, has no alphabetic characters.

The meaning of Jimmy Page's so-called "zoso" symbol has been a mystery since the album was released.  It's likely to remain a mystery indefinitely, unless Jimmy himself explains its meaning.  Popular theories link it to alchemy or astrological signs, but it's all been conjecture.

An old site called "In The Light" had a commendable interpretation of the symbol, seemingly the product of exhaustive research.  Though the site has apparently shut down, I managed to find an archived copy of the page in question:

(you may have to copy/paste this link manually)

Led Zeppelin

Mike Caldwell

I have been a lifetime Led Zeppelin researcher (not just fan). Have gained a strong reputation as an appraiser of their rare records and memorabilia. For various reasons, I cannot respond to emails sent to my personal account, but I will always respond to questions posted here!

Countless hours of biographical research and personal interaction with relevant individuals. Avid contributor to Led Zeppelin newsgroups since 1997 (check Google groups!)

Bullseye News Magazine. The Vapid Voice.

Masters Degree, Computer Science. Bachelor's Degree, Psychology.

Several literary awards.