Led Zeppelin/1978 UK purple vinyl copy of Zep IV, Atlantic K 50008

Hello Mike:
   I have a 1978, UK re-press,of Led Zep IV,(Atlantic K 50008)on purple vinyl. This is also sometimes described as lilac-colored. I know that this a scarce pressing and I know that it was pressed in November of 1978. Do you have any idea how many copies were pressed? Thanks and regards.

Hi Jack

The 1978 "Lilac" pressing featured a pinkish/light purple vinyl, but a scant few copies were pressed with a dark purple vinyl color.  It's definitely an oddity, and I've only seen a couple copies to date.  At first, I wondered if these were counterfeit, but the labeling and matrix info seemed legit.  As for the number of dark purple copies pressed, that would be an educated guess.  Maybe a few hundred?  The light purple ones are relatively easy to find, and certainly thousands were pressed, but the dark purple - a very, very small percentage.

Best wishes,

Led Zeppelin

Mike Caldwell

I have been a lifetime Led Zeppelin researcher (not just fan). Have gained a strong reputation as an appraiser of their rare records and memorabilia. For various reasons, I cannot respond to emails sent to my personal account, but I will always respond to questions posted here!

Countless hours of biographical research and personal interaction with relevant individuals. Avid contributor to Led Zeppelin newsgroups since 1997 (check Google groups!)

Bullseye News Magazine. The Vapid Voice.

Masters Degree, Computer Science. Bachelor's Degree, Psychology.

Several literary awards.