Led Zeppelin/Light and dark purple Led Zep IV copies

Question
Hello Mike:
   Thanks for the answer on the Zep IV purple LP copies. I appreciate it.
    Any idea on how to find out exactly how many were pressed? Both the light purple LP and the darker purple LP? Can Atlantic tell us? I assumed a few thousand on the light one and a few hundred on the dark one.
    I have only seen 4 of the light purples ones since 1978 (and I own 3 of them)! And I have dug through millions of records since then.
    I have never seen a dark purple copy in real life (although I have seen a picture of one on Popsike.com).
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks and regards

Answer
Hi Jack

It's always been notoriously difficult to track down the number of copies pressed, even for unique releases such as the lilac one.  I suppose that disclosing these figures is of little benefit to a record company's marketing effort unless it's an extreme amount ("only 500 made, get your copy today!")  

Submitting an inquiry to Atlantic isn't such a bad idea, if it weren't with regard to a record that was pressed 36 years ago.  My assumption is that they had long since archived that information offline and would require an extensive effort to access it.  From my standpoint, your assumption on pressing amounts is in the right ballpark - maybe a hundred dark copies, perhaps 5000 (or more) light ones.  For the light colored copies, I don't see why Atlantic would have pressed any less than that amount, given that those would have been pretty much a guaranteed sale.  

Mike

Led Zeppelin

Mike Caldwell