Legal Ethics/Attorney Fees and Subrogation

Question
We have a personal injury case in progress. The medical provider has already agreed that their staff was negligent.  He died shortly thereafter.  The attorney is to receive 30% of the settlement. The medical insurer has already sent us a letter saying if money is awarded, they will seek subrogation.  I understand the subrogation part.  If I have not paid the attorney fees because they only get paid if there is a settlement, what happens if the medical insurer takes the total amount of the settlement.  Is it possible that I could end up paying the lawyer out of my pocket, even though I didn't actually receive any money, or had to surrender the money to the insurance company?

An example, in nice round numbers.....additional medical expenses incurred are $150,000.  Settlement/award is for $100,000.  Attorney fees are (at 30%) $30,000.  Insurance company says, because we paid out 150 and you got 100 we will take the 100 to offset our loss.  Or does the attorney get paid first and the insurance company reimbursement comes out of what is left.

I understand they may take it all and that I may not get any cash out of this at all.  I just don't want to come out of it owing money.

If a settlement is received will it be paid directly to me and then the insurance company would seek reimbursement from the estate? (me - as the executor)

hope that all makes sense.  Looking forward to your reply.

Answer
Jenny,

Part of the reason you hire an attorney is to negotiate all liens, inlcuding healthcare and health insurance liens.  

You are in control of the settlement.  Before you agree to settle or sign the release, ask for the final breakdown.  You would not agree to settle if you have to come out of your pocket and you certainly deserve some money as opposed to your attorney taking all of your funds.  If you are not in agreement with the final breakdown, do not agree to settle or sign the release.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Legal Ethics

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.