Legal Ethics/defamation.

Hi I need an opinion, essence of the story is, we rented a place, landlord assaulted my husband police were call. The landlord assaulted my husband as she wanted us to leave the windows open when we were not at home and we told her its not safe to do this. She's since that day dreamt up that we said something about her son's father in law. Which we didn't. On the days off she would come down and demand that we clean the garden esp. when I was sick. She then resorted to calling me a mere house wife.

She thinks that because we said something which we didn't that it's defamation, now what is defamation isn't what she said about me defamation that I'm a mere house wife? Just seeking an opinion on this.

Defamation is a: 1) statement of fact; 2) which the maker knows to be false; 3) which is false; 4) made to a third party; 5) intending to lower the reputation; 6) which does lower the reputation of the recipient; 7) causing damages.

Statements of opinions do not amount to defamation.  Based upon your statements, it would be difficult to believe either was actionable for defamation.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D

Legal Ethics

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

I have been a practicing civil trial attorney since 1989 and have a master's degree in bioethics and a doctorate of philosophy in comparative ethics of law, medicine and business.

I am Certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and am Certified as a Specialist in Injury and Wrongful Death Litigation by the State Bar of Arizona Board of Legal Specialization.

I can answer questions dealing with general ethics principles, including legal ethics, medical ethics, bioethics and business ethics. I do not give legal advice over the internet.

For more information, you can view my website at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM

Experience in the area
I have been a practicing trial attorney since 1989 and I have a masters degree in bioethics and a doctorate of philosophy regarding comparative ethics.

Organizations belong to
State Bar of Arizona
State Bar of Colorado (inactive)
District of Columbia Bar (inactive)
Federal Bar
Licensed in Arizona District Court
Licensed in Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Licensed in the United States Supreme Court
American Bar Association
National Board of Trial Advocacy
American Association for Justice
Arizona Trial Lawyers Association
American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
Kennedy Institute of Ethics
National Association of Realtors

Bachelor of Arts 1985
Juris Doctorate 1989
Master of Arts in Bioethics 2004
Doctorate of Philosphy 2006

Phi Beta Kappa
Multiple Who's Who

A list of my copyrighted publications and presentations is contained at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM