Legal Ethics/Intentional over charging self pay patient

Is it a question of ethics when a dr intentionally overcharges a self pay patient?  If the patient had insurance, payment would have been at least $180 less than the dr billed the patient for. The insurance payment amount was verified by CareFirst. I am looking to put in a complaint about the Urgent care center, but not sure which department or agency to start with.

State of Maryland.

Thank you for your time

You are describing an ethical question.  I suspect the clinic is going to indicate that these are the same charges they provide to everyone; however, the contracted amount with insurance is for a lesser amount.  You should contact the Maryland Department of Health at

You may wish to request the clinic charge you the insurance contract amount.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Legal Ethics

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

I have been a practicing civil trial attorney since 1989 and have a master's degree in bioethics and a doctorate of philosophy in comparative ethics of law, medicine and business.

I am Certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and am Certified as a Specialist in Injury and Wrongful Death Litigation by the State Bar of Arizona Board of Legal Specialization.

I can answer questions dealing with general ethics principles, including legal ethics, medical ethics, bioethics and business ethics. I do not give legal advice over the internet.

For more information, you can view my website at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM

Experience in the area
I have been a practicing trial attorney since 1989 and I have a masters degree in bioethics and a doctorate of philosophy regarding comparative ethics.

Organizations belong to
State Bar of Arizona
State Bar of Colorado (inactive)
District of Columbia Bar (inactive)
Federal Bar
Licensed in Arizona District Court
Licensed in Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Licensed in the United States Supreme Court
American Bar Association
National Board of Trial Advocacy
American Association for Justice
Arizona Trial Lawyers Association
American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
Kennedy Institute of Ethics
National Association of Realtors

Bachelor of Arts 1985
Juris Doctorate 1989
Master of Arts in Bioethics 2004
Doctorate of Philosphy 2006

Phi Beta Kappa
Multiple Who's Who

A list of my copyrighted publications and presentations is contained at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM