Legal Ethics/Intentional over charging self pay patient

Question
Is it a question of ethics when a dr intentionally overcharges a self pay patient?  If the patient had insurance, payment would have been at least $180 less than the dr billed the patient for. The insurance payment amount was verified by CareFirst. I am looking to put in a complaint about the Urgent care center, but not sure which department or agency to start with.

State of Maryland.

Thank you for your time
debbie

Answer
Debbie,

You are describing an ethical question.  I suspect the clinic is going to indicate that these are the same charges they provide to everyone; however, the contracted amount with insurance is for a lesser amount.  You should contact the Maryland Department of Health at www.dmh.state.md.us/

You may wish to request the clinic charge you the insurance contract amount.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Legal Ethics

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.