Legal Ethics/chain of custduy

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mr Friedman Could you explain to me the meaning of the chain of custody or evidence and the broken chain and what happens if the chain is broken before the chain of evidence starts,meaning you you can prove their was tampering with evidence before the prosecutions date of chain of evidence began?.How does this work and if proven what happens to their chain of evidence?Does this their evidence can't be used in in discovery or court. Thanks Paul  Please Reply

ANSWER: Chain of custody means the prosecutor has to show the evidence was protected and remained the same from the time it was found until trial. The prosecutor has to prove who had it at all times.
If the prosecutor cannot prove the chain of custody, the evidence may be inadmissible at trial.

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

QUESTION: Thanks for your reply Paul.What happens if the evidence [surgical item foreign body] does have chain of evidence but is not the same foreign body that was found in my body and not the same as the foreign on my x ray taken before removal of the foreign.please reply   Thanks Paul.

Answer
Tanya,

I am not sure of exactly what you are asking but I will give it my best shot.  When I have a client with a surgical implant that may be defective, we make arrangements for the physician to place it in an appropriate sealed container and pass it directly to the patient or a person we designate to maintain custody of it.  Then we place the sealed container in our safe and submit it directly to our expert who maintains possession and control.

If this is not helpful, let me know by asking a different question and I will attempt to answer it more accurately to what you are asking.

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Legal Ethics

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.