Legal Ethics/Fired after he requested and received copies of notes from doctors office

My hr person requested info about dates of my absences verbally over phone from a doctor who was not my regular doctor which they received verbally and by fax without my permission. Illness was covered by FMLA for chronic pain and sleep issues related to pain.  Without thinking I changed ending date by one day as doctor wrote wrong date on it. I was fired then reinstated after six months of my union fighting for me. Manager was made to retire but I was passed over for three promotions and forced to provide notes every time I missed work. Other employees abuse sick leave for hunting or just long weekends with no problem. Was it legal for doctors office to release my info?

I am not licensed in Oregon so I cannot ethically or legally tell you the law in that state.  I can say that it is unethical and a breach of fiduciary duty for a physician to relay information about a patient without authority to do so.  If a patient does not authorize a release of information, the physician should not be providing information unless it is to another healthcare provider.  

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Legal Ethics

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

I have been a practicing civil trial attorney since 1989 and have a master's degree in bioethics and a doctorate of philosophy in comparative ethics of law, medicine and business.

I am Certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and am Certified as a Specialist in Injury and Wrongful Death Litigation by the State Bar of Arizona Board of Legal Specialization.

I can answer questions dealing with general ethics principles, including legal ethics, medical ethics, bioethics and business ethics. I do not give legal advice over the internet.

For more information, you can view my website at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM

Experience in the area
I have been a practicing trial attorney since 1989 and I have a masters degree in bioethics and a doctorate of philosophy regarding comparative ethics.

Organizations belong to
State Bar of Arizona
State Bar of Colorado (inactive)
District of Columbia Bar (inactive)
Federal Bar
Licensed in Arizona District Court
Licensed in Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Licensed in the United States Supreme Court
American Bar Association
National Board of Trial Advocacy
American Association for Justice
Arizona Trial Lawyers Association
American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
Kennedy Institute of Ethics
National Association of Realtors

Bachelor of Arts 1985
Juris Doctorate 1989
Master of Arts in Bioethics 2004
Doctorate of Philosphy 2006

Phi Beta Kappa
Multiple Who's Who

A list of my copyrighted publications and presentations is contained at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM