Legal Ethics/Web camera in a office area

Question
Greetings,

I work in a medical communications center and was wanting to know if it is ethical or legal for admin. To want to place a web bases web cam to watch the employees? There's no more than 4 employees in the comm center at one given time.

Thank you

Adam

Answer
Adam,

I cannot tell you if it is legal for an employer in Missouri to set up a cam to watch employees since I am not licensed to practice law in Missouri.  An employer may want to survey its employees, their productivity and activities while at work, especially if the employees are made aware they do not have privacy in the workplace.  The same is true for monitoring computers.  However, there should not be any public disclosure of any patient information as it would be violative of the patient's right to privacy as well as a HIPAA violation.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Legal Ethics

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.