Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics/Indians

Which branch of government was most supportive of the indians? What are some examples?

Hi Lauren,

Different branches held different levels of support at different time periods.  Probably during the 19th century overall, I would say the courts were probably the most most pro-Indian, but also probably had the least influence on Indian policy.  The Courts on several occasions upheld tribal treaties that protected property rights of Indians.  Probably the most famous example was the Supreme Court Opinion protecting Cherokee rights in western Georgia.  President Andrew Jackson then ignored the opinion and allowed the State to force the Indians out of the State anyway.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question about U.S. Political history, Constitutional law, the legislative process, elections, etc. I enjoy Presidential and Congressional historical trivia, but can answer more substantive questions too.

Former Staff member for a Congressman and Senator. I also worked on about 10 Congressional and Presidential campaigns (only one that won). For a short time, I worked in the legal department of the Federal Election Commission.    I have a B.A. in Political Science.

Former LBJ Fellow (paid fellowship for Congressional Staff).
Pi Sigma Alpha (Political Science Honorary Society).

Washington Post
Washington Times

J.D. University of Michigan
B.A. George Washington University (Poli. Sci. major).

LBJ Fellow
Truman Scholar