Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics/US History

Question
What led the Convention to eventually accept the Connecticut Compromise, and why did some delegates continue to oppose it?

Answer

At the Constitutional convention, some delegates wanted to continue representation by State, where every State had an equal vote.  Others thought representation would be by population so that representation was based on the overall population of the country, the same way most State governments worked.

The Connecticut compromise was that representation would be equal among States in the Senate but by population in the House of Representatives.  Without this compromise, it is likely that many of the smaller States would not have agreed to the Constitution, feeling that their small representation would give them almost no voice in the new government.

Some larger people from larger States continued to oppose the plan because people living in smaller States would have more representation than those in larger States.

- Mike

Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics

Michael Troy