Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics/Individual Rights

Question
Discuss the historic context that gave birth to the concern for the individual rights embodied in the United States Constitution.

Answer
The Bill of Rights and other protections in the original Constitution come directly from the experience of people living in the period leading up to and during the American Revolution.  

Most of the protections listed are rights that were violated by the British during the Revolution.  For example, First Amendment's right of free speech and the right to petition government were rejected by Parliament.  The Second Amendment's right to bear arms was trampled when British soldiers tried to seize the weapons of citizens in Massachusetts, leading to the battles of Lexington and Concord.  The Third Amendment's right not to have soldiers housed in people homes was a reaction to that practice during the British Army's occupation of cities during the war.  The Fourth Amendment's protection from unreasonable searches and seizures was in reaction to British policies that allowed searching private warehouses and other property for smuggled goods, even when there was no direct evidence that such goods might be there.

I could give other examples but the basic idea is that Americans has basic ideas about certain protections for individuals against government encroachment.  The British often violated these protections in the period leading up to war and during the war.  When it came time to create a new Constitution, people wanted to make sure those rights would be clearly listed and protected in the new document.

- Mike  

Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics

Michael Troy