Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics/state legislative elections

We are examining election of new group of GOP legislators but are having difficulty finding other election/profile research on state elections- any ideas or are state legislative elections really the step-child of electoral research

Hi Rob--

If there is an online source of actual election results, by candidate, I can't find it. The National Council of State Legislatures gives the party breakdown of seats; ballotpedia.org does that too, and also lists the names of the winners. But I can't find any source that tells you how many votes each candidate got.

If you want to probe more deeply, I have a couple of ideas: 1) Call the National Conference of State Legislatures, they should know if this exists; 2) The late Malcolm Jewell of the University of Kentucky was working on a historical archive of state legislative election data, but I don't know if anyone carried it on - he died in 2010. The political science department at Kentucky might know, or maybe the staff at the Legislative Studies Quarterly.

All I know - hope it helps!

Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics

John C. Berg

How Congress works, how to influence Congress, how Congress can be improved, how state legislatures work, how to influence state legislatures, how the Massachusetts legislature works, how to influence the Massachusetts legislature, why the presidential debates are unfair, how to improve the presidential debates, why the US electoral system is unfair, how to improve the US electoral system, how to end the two-party monopoly

Political activist for 40 years, currently working on the Ralph Nader presidential campaign. Professor of political science for 26 years.

American Association of Political Consultants, American Political Science Association, International Political Science Association, Caucus for a New Political Science, International Political Science Association, National Society for Experiential Education

Polity, Policy Studies Journal, Journal of Politics, Legislative Studies Journal, author of Unequal Struggle: Class, Gender, Race, and Power in the US Congress (Westview Press, 1994).

PhD Harvard University 1975
MA Harvard University 1973
BA with Honors University of Wisconsin 1964