Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics/CONSTITUTION

Question
STILL HAVING TROUBLE FINDING THE PROPER WAY TO CALL A CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION & WHAT ARE THE POWERS OF IT WHEN CONVENED???ADVISE!!

Answer
Hi Tom,

Article V of the US Constitution allows for 2/3 of State legislatures to call for a Constitutional Convention to amend the Constitution, then Congress must approve the Convention.  So if you want to start the process, you would begin by gong to various State legislatures and getting a resolution passed demanding a Constitutional Convention.

Powers of a Convention are not defined.  The Convention could have near limitless power.  However, 3/4 of all States would have to ratify their changes before it would take effect.

The only precedent, of course is the original Convention of 1787.  The States then operating under the Articles of Confederation met to discuss various Amendments.  They ended up completely re-writing a new Constitution and submitting that to the States for approval.  One reason it was so successful was that it was supported by the most highly regarded leaders from among the States, including George Washington and Ben Franklin.

I hope this helps!
- Mikek  

Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics

Michael Troy