Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics/american democracy

Question
I would like to know how federalism relates to national and states sovereignty?

Answer
Hi Tasha,

Federalism is the division of power between different levels of government.  In the US case, it refers to the division of governmental powers between the national government (also called the federal government) and the State governments.  Division of powers is defined in the US Constitution.  The federal government has superior power to overrule State authority in areas where the federal government has been assigned power.  But federal power is supposed to be limited to certain well defined areas (e.g. maintaining the military, immigration, coining money, etc.).  In areas where the federal government do not have authority, State retain their sovereign authority.  Over the years, however, federal courts have allowed federal authority to move into more and more areas under vaguely defined clauses, such as the commerce clause.  As a result, the federal government can operate as the sovereign power on just about any issue.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics

Michael Troy