Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics/Did Bill Clinton really bomb an Aspirin Factory?

I am watching a video about how things have turned so sour in the country. One of the things he said based on a news article is that Bill Clinton when he was president bombed an aspirin factory in Sudan.

This happened after Sudan offered to give us Osama Bin Laden. I know that this is a political issue I saw Chris Wallace interview Clinton about that and he sort of skirted around the question. But the aspirin factory is that true? Do you have anything that can verify that.

After Al Qaeda bombed US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998, the US bombed several sites in Sudan and Afghanistan in retaliation.  Among the sites hit on the August 20, 1998 attacks was the Al-Shifa pharmaceutical factory in Sudan, which made a number of medicines, including aspirin.  The reason for that target was a suspicion that scientists at the factory might have been involved in the development of chemical weapons and may have been sharing that information with Bin Laden.  However, later those suspicions linking the factory to chemical weapons or Bin Laden were deemed incorrect.

Bin Laden left Sudan in 1996, well before the bombings.  The bombings had nothing to do with any failure to capture him while he lived in Sudan.

There are many articles about this attack. Here is one discussing the aftermath:

I hope this helps!
- Mike

Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question about U.S. Political history, Constitutional law, the legislative process, elections, etc. I enjoy Presidential and Congressional historical trivia, but can answer more substantive questions too.

Former Staff member for a Congressman and Senator. I also worked on about 10 Congressional and Presidential campaigns (only one that won). For a short time, I worked in the legal department of the Federal Election Commission.    I have a B.A. in Political Science.

Former LBJ Fellow (paid fellowship for Congressional Staff).
Pi Sigma Alpha (Political Science Honorary Society).

Washington Post
Washington Times

J.D. University of Michigan
B.A. George Washington University (Poli. Sci. major).

LBJ Fellow
Truman Scholar