Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics/Question about Reagan quote. About batting average?

Question

I was listening to a radio show and they were talking about a Reagan quote where he was getting asked questions about things that he was doing that he was successful or not successful. Reagan said something about how he got three our of four things and that if he was a baseball player that would be a good batting average.

Do you know what it was in context to or what the questions were?
Thanks,

Mark

Answer
Hi Mark,

The line is from Reagan's Autobiography: An American Life.  He is actually quoting something Franklin Roosevelt said.  Here is the full quote in context:

"When I began entering into the give and take of legislative bargaining in Sacramento, a lot of the most radical conservatives who had supported me during the election didn’t like it. “Compromise” was a dirty word to them and they wouldn’t face the fact that we couldn’t get all of what we wanted today. They wanted all or nothing and they wanted it all at once. If you don’t get it all, some said, don’t take anything. I’d learned while negotiating union contracts that you seldom got everything you asked for. And I agreed with FDR, who said in 1933: ‘I have no expectations of making a hit every time I come to bat. What I seek is the highest possible batting average.’ If you got seventy-five or eighty percent of what you were asking for, I say, you take it and fight for the rest later, and that's what I told these radical conservatives who never got used to it."

I hope this helps!
- Mike

Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics

Michael Troy