Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics/Finding & passing laws

I hope there is an easier way to learn about passing laws. I'm lost as to finding a good website(government or not) that details what is happening with any state or federal, senate or house bills that have been introduced. Would appreciate some good help to learn more on the process bills must go through before actually becoming law.

Specifically I'm currently trying to research Rhode Island state HB5480 which was first introduced as HB7655 Feb 12,2014 (why do they change names and what's happened to it? Thank you for your help.

Dear Chris,

Is this a bill about geoengineering? That's what I get when I go to http://status.rilin.state.ri.us/ and search for that number. The name and number changed because this is a new legislature, elected in 2014 -- when the old legislature ended, all pending bills expired and had to be resubmitted and renumbered.

The parent site, from which to look for all sorts of information about bills in RI, is http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Legislation/.

I hope this helps! I'm not really much of an expert on Rhode Island.

Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics

John C. Berg

How Congress works, how to influence Congress, how Congress can be improved, how state legislatures work, how to influence state legislatures, how the Massachusetts legislature works, how to influence the Massachusetts legislature, why the presidential debates are unfair, how to improve the presidential debates, why the US electoral system is unfair, how to improve the US electoral system, how to end the two-party monopoly

Political activist for 40 years, currently working on the Ralph Nader presidential campaign. Professor of political science for 26 years.

American Association of Political Consultants, American Political Science Association, International Political Science Association, Caucus for a New Political Science, International Political Science Association, National Society for Experiential Education

Polity, Policy Studies Journal, Journal of Politics, Legislative Studies Journal, author of Unequal Struggle: Class, Gender, Race, and Power in the US Congress (Westview Press, 1994).

PhD Harvard University 1975
MA Harvard University 1973
BA with Honors University of Wisconsin 1964