Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics/Woodrew wilson rejection

why did wilson's approach to politics rejected in 1921 ish!

Voters vehemently rejected Wilson's party and politics in the 1920 elections, and even before that in the 1918 Congressional elections where his party suffered heavy losses.  The primary reason for that was simple: WWI.  In his 1916 bid for reelection, President Wilson ran heavily on the theme of having kept the country out of war (WWI having started in 1914).  The US had a long and powerful history of isolationism and wanting to remain out of foreign wars.  When President Wilson entered the War in 1917, support for him and his party plummeted.

Not only did President Wilson take the country into war, but also wanted to be a big part of rebuilding Europe nations as modern republics.  The American people largely wanted no part of this.  Many of them, or their parents had fled Europe to avoid being drawn into the many recurring wars on that continent.  They also did not want the US to be actively involved in foreign affairs, which would result in a neglect of domestic issues considered more important.  

The result of this rejection was a move back to the traditional Republican control of Congress and the Presidency that had dominated since the Civil War.

- Mike  

Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question about U.S. Political history, Constitutional law, the legislative process, elections, etc. I enjoy Presidential and Congressional historical trivia, but can answer more substantive questions too.

Former Staff member for a Congressman and Senator. I also worked on about 10 Congressional and Presidential campaigns (only one that won). For a short time, I worked in the legal department of the Federal Election Commission.    I have a B.A. in Political Science.

Former LBJ Fellow (paid fellowship for Congressional Staff).
Pi Sigma Alpha (Political Science Honorary Society).

Washington Post
Washington Times

J.D. University of Michigan
B.A. George Washington University (Poli. Sci. major).

LBJ Fellow
Truman Scholar